Honora Harrison

Honora Harrison, named after her mother's friend Honora Foster, achieved the greatest social progress of all the children of James and Catherine. Before she turned thirty she was married to a wealthy businessman and Councillor and lived in a Sydney mansion, later her daughter married the only son of a knight of the realm and her son became a barrister. She left Hobart and her convict ancestry behind and went to Sydney perhaps to seek a career on the stage. (Diedre Bigger has a photo of her from a play... as "Sweet Nell of Old Drury" . It shows her as being very attractive with masses of long curly hair ... as it's a sepia photo and I can’t tell the colour). Her death certificate states that she had lived in New South Wales for 34 years and that suggests she left Hobart in 1897. In Sydney she met Daniel Ussher Seaton a young man bent on success.

Daniel and Honora, now known as Violet, were married at the Church of St Matthias, Randwick at Paddington, Sydney, in 1898. At the time, Daniel Ussher was 27 and a master butcher resident at Charing Cross, Waverley. Hanora Violet was 24 and resident at 121 Hargrave St, Paddington. (Honora was also recorded as Hannah, Hannorah, and Hanora; Claire Steinhauser reports that Honora 'changed her name to Violet sometime prior to her marriage.) Although his business flourished tragedy struck when his first daughter Fanny J M, born in 1899 died in infancy. Further tragedy followed soon after when Daniel’s elder brother Alfred died the next July after being committed to Gladesville Hospital. Daniel took over the business and erected a large white marble monument over Alfred’s grave in Waverley Cemetery. Violet had two more children, George Edward, in 1901 and another girl also called Josephine Frances Mary (Fanny) in 1902.

Honora’s great grand-daughter Tracy Ryan says –
Honora's great grand-daughter Tracy Ryan says that 'apparently Hanora was tall with auburn hair' and was described as "the last of the straight backed riders". Tracy remembers Hanora's daughter Josephine well as she was her grandmother. Tracy said Josephine's three daughters (who were Tracy's mother and two aunts) were fascinated by Hanora's convict connections when they found out in the early 2000s as there was always a bit of a mystery surrounding their grandmother Hanora/Honora. All they knew was that she came from Tasmania. Josephine's oldest daughter, Hanora's granddaughter, dimly recalled her but Josephine's other two daughters didn't as she died before they were born. However, they do remember Dan Seaton as a very happy and friendly man. There is a family story that Dan hummed Irish ditties to Hanora and they never understood why; the Irish connection through Catherine McCarthy explains it.’

Initially the family lived at the shop in Bronte Rd. and from there Daniel was elected as a Waverley Councillor in 1904 -1907. By then he had added another shop at 412 Oxford Street Wolahra, later expanded into a 'meat market'. He served for four years on the Council before leaving to open another shop. In 1911 they moved to a residence in Grosvenor Street and stayed there until around 1915. When he bought 'a two story mansion with tower' called Eastcourt. The grand house had been built in 1893 by a brewer and famous for its gardens with shrubs and Norfolk pines, and a magnificent wisteria along the western balcony. It dominated the centre of Bondi Junction from its location at the corner of Oxford St. and Waverley Street. In mid 1907 Hannah's niece Violet (daughter of Flurance) visited the Seatons for a holiday. During this visit she fell from a horse drawn buggy and died soon after her return to Hobart. Violet was her father's favourite and her death caused a family rift. In 1926 Josephine, 'Josie', married Ben Fuller (Alfred Benjamin) the only son of Sir Benjamin Fuller and his first wife Jessie Elizabeth Burton. Sir Benjamin Fuller was an important theatrical entrepreneur and philanthropist. The following year her brother married Irene James and with the children gone Daniel sold Eastcourt later in the year. The family lived considerable style.

When he retired from business he devoted his time to breeding and racing horses with considerable success. His horse Westcourt won the 1917 Melbourne Cup and Wolaroi, whom he bred at Mudgee, won a string of what are now called Group One races in Sydney.

In August 1931 Dan moved his horse stud from Mudgee to Kingsfield, near Scone and as they were settling in there in Honora fell ill and died from a stroke in Brentwood Hospital at Muswellbrook, aged 57, Daniel lived until the last day of World War II in 1945; they are buried together in Waverley Cemetery, Sydney in the plot originally chosen for his brother Alfred. Kingsfield was sold just before his death. (SMH obit 17 Aug. 1945 p 12. )..