Mary Williams, the sixth daughter of Thomas and Charlotte (nee Kentwell) and grand-daughter of the founding mothers Ann Davis and Elizabeth Morris, married the young Irish immigrant Henry George Black in St Judes Church of England Church at Dural in the parish of Castle Hill on 19 February 1856.

Henry was born in Wexford in Ireland in 1831; he arrived in Sydney as a child in October 1838 with his father, John, his mother,
Jessie Dodds Moffitt, and two brothers George Purves and John Moffitt. The family was accompanied by Jessie's sisters Barbara and Christina, Barbara's husband George Burns and their infant son George.

The Black family in Wexford

John & Jessie Black and their three children all came from the townland of Coolintagart, a farming district of 218 acres lying about four miles south-west of Inch, between the villages of Limerick or Killinierin and Hollyfort. The area is in the parish of Kilcavan and the barony of Gorey. Borleigh House is a large estate about two miles west of Inch. The two storey mansion type residence was probably built about two hundred years before by the Esmondes, who were the local landed gentry.
The village of Inch lies on the River Inch. The best description of the village seems to be that in "Cassell's Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland. 1896", where it states:
"INCH, pa. Gorey bar., co. Wex. And Arklow bar., S.E. CO. Wick., Ir., N.E. of Gorey; ac. 6,803. The surface is mountainous, yet there is much fertile land. The Protestant church was erected in lS31. There are two square entrenchments, said to have been formed by Cromwell's troops. A skirmish between the forces of William III And those of James II. Took place here soon after the Battle of the Boyne. St. Austin' s probably occupies the site of an Augustine monastery. Nearest railway stn. Inch, 53 miles from Dublin. Pop 929".

The name INCH is Gaelic in origin. From "Scotland-Place Names" by Fiona Johnstone:
"INCH (Lothian and Grampian) 'Island, meadow'; Gaeric 'inis'. INSH (Highland) and INSCH (Grampian) have the same meaning and derivation."

The Esmonde family in Wexford.

The Esmonde family is 'of very ancient establishment' in Wexford. John Esmond was bishop of Ferns (the diocese covering northern Wexford) in the middle of the 14th century. Another source claims that the family was of Norman descent and arrived from England in 1169. They displaced the gaelic population and established vast estates around Johnstown and the manor of Limerick. Laurence Esmonde converted to Protestantism about 1600 and was knighted by Sir Henry Sidney. He became Sheriff of Waterford in 1607 an MP for Wicklow town (1613-15), Major-General of all Irish Forces and was created Baron Esmonde of Limerick. In 1644 he 'deserted the King's cause espousing that of Parliament. He surrendered Duncannon Castle to Cromwell but after a counterattack he was forced to capitulate. He died in May 1645 and bequeathed his lands to his son Thomas but the peerage became extinct.

Thomas was the only child of Laurence's first marriage to the beautiful Eleanor whom he met whilst campaigning in Connaught. She was a Catholic but Thomas was raised a Protestant until Eleanor took the child back to her family. Thomas was knighted, and later made baronet in 1628 for his services in the Army of Charles I, thus father and son fought on opposite sides in the Civil War. Thomas' family settled in Ballynstra and a descendant, Sir Thomas Esmonde, was living there in 1800 (he died in 1805).

The formerly extensive Esmond estates were gradually bought up by the Quinn family: they were probably the owners when John Moffitt was employed there as a farm steward. Henry Quinn was the landowner of the Coolintaggart townland. There is a Quinn family grave on the property. John Black's father was also John and his mother Mary. According to Mormon records his paternal grand-father was a George Black. As Black is not an ‘Irish name’ they may well have come from Scotland and may also have land stewards at Borleigh.

The Public Record Office in the Four Courts, Dublin holds the Register Book of the Parish of Inch. It starts in 1726 and, as usual, was badly kept. On 9 December, l827, James Quinn was admitted to the Sunday School as a scholar. In the Griffiths Valuation of Ireland, 1853, it is recorded that William C Quinn was the lessor of a lot of land at Borleagh Townland and that Henry Quinn was the occupier of Borleagh demesne and William C Quinn was the lessor. The house stands in the centre of the property. There are large entrance gates and a long drive between 200 year old trees leading up to the house, and there is an abandoned farm residence half way along the drive. There are extensive farm buildings around Borleagh House. The present owner is Mr.C.Gambrill, an American, who resides there for six months of the year. He purchased the property in 1962 from Richard Greene, the actor, of "Robin Hood" fame, who had bought it from the Quinn's two years before. Greene married a rich South American woman and raised horses on the estate, and Gambrill, who also has a home on Bermuda is probably doing the same. He has owned the place for ten years, and the 390 acres is up for sale for £800,000.