John Black's new property at Glenorie was some 7 km north of the farm of Thomas Williams II and, in the still small community, the children of the farmers met in social and commercial circumstances. In this environment the 24 year-old Henry met Mary Williams. When she was nineteen they were married in Dural at St Jude’s Church on 19 February 1856. His brother George, together with his new brother-in-law, George Hunt, and Geo Mawbey witnessed his marriage. George Hunt was the husband of Mary's sister Elizabeth. Three days after the marriage Henry's mother died.

Seven months after his marriage Henry's father 'gave' him 162 acres of land in North Colah, and a further parcel of 48 acres on the western side of the Old Northern Road to Wiseman's Ferry. He was required to pay his father 10 shillings for the land.
Henry George Black & Mary Williams
JOHN BLACK senr. H.G.BLACK 45/374 Part Geo.Acre's grant
(Deed of Gift: This indenture made 20/9/1856 between John Black the elder of North Colah in the County of Cumberland in the Colony of New South Wales, Farmer, of the One part, and Henry George Black of the same place, Farmer, of the other part
WHEREAS the said John Black the elder is seised of or well entitled to the land and Hereditaments hereinafter described NOW THI5 INDENTURE WITNESSETH that in consideration of the love and affection which the said John Black the elder hath and beareth for him the said Henry George Black and also for the better maintenance support and livelihood and preferment of the said Henry George Black and in consideration of 10/- of lawful British money paid by the said Henry George Black to the said John Black the elder (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) he the said John Black the elder doth hereby give grant and assigns ALL THAT piece of land situated in the Parish of North Colah, County of Cumberland and Colony of New South Wales, comprising a portion of George Acres' grant of 1500 acres and containing by admeasurement 162 acres 1 rood 22 perches a little more or less commencing at a mark on the eastern boundary of the said George Acres' grant...) Acres' grant AND ALSO ALL THAT piece of land situated in the Parish of Nelson, County and Colony aforesaid, comprising a portion of George Acres grant and containing by admeasurement 48 acres and 2 roods commencing at a mark on the western side of the road leading from Parramatta to Wiseman's Ferry...)
Henry and Mary Black took up farming on their new land which they called Rose Hill which was situated near the present Pinus and Cattai Roads Glenorie, surrounded by the properties of their many relatives. Their first child John was born ten months after the wedding. Over the next fourteen years they had eight more children.
In May 1864 their youngest child tragically drowned in the well on the Glenorie property. Henry George Black appears on the 1869-70

Electoral Roll for Central Cumberland, his residence then being at Dural and his qualification being freehold land at Dural. When only forty years old Henry died of the same disease that killed his aunt Christina shortly after her arrival in Sydney thirty-four years earlier. The notice of his funeral in the Sydney Morning Herald of 3 May, 1872 reads:
'The friends of the late Mr. Henry Black are invited to attend his funeral, to move from his late residence, Dural, This day, Friday the 3rd instant at 11 O'clock.
James Willis, Undertaker.'

Henry was buried at St Paul’s Cemetery at Castle Hill. At that time his eldest child, Henry II was only twelve and we must assume that Mary relied on her family for support until her boys could take over the farm. Mary inherited all her husband’s estate and faced a difficult task raising eight small children, fortunately they lived in a neighbourhood thickly populated with relatives.
Henry II appears to have converted the farm to an orchard. In 1888 he sold some land in Parramatta he had inherited to William Gilligan for £90. He used the money to develop his selection that was about a mile from the family home.
(This indenture made 10/10/1888 between Henry George Black of Dural in the Colony of New South Wales, Orchardist, hereinafter called the vendor of the one part, and William Gilligan of the same place, Orchardist, hereinafter called the purchaser, of the other part,
WITNESSETH that in consideration of £90 this day paid by the said purchaser to the said vendor. the receipt whereof the said vendor doth hereby acknowledge, he the said vendor in exercise of a power given him by an indenture dated 13/9/l882 and expressed to be made between John Booth and Richard Webb of the one part and the said vendor of the other part and of every other power enabling him in this behalf doth hereby direct permit and appoint and by virtue of his estate and interest doth hereby grant bargain sell alien release and confirm unto the said purchaser and his heirs ALL THAT piece or parcel of land situate lying and being in the town of Parramatta, Parish of Field of Mars, County of Cumberland, Colony of New South Wales, being lot 4 of a subdivision of land of the late Richard Webb commencing at a point on the north side of Factory Street distant 125 feet westerly from the west side of Church Street and bounded thence on the south by Factory Street bearing westerly 55 feet on the west by a line bearing northerly 180 feet on the north by a line bearing easterly 50 feet and on the east by the western boundary of Lots 3, 2, and 1 being a line bearing southerly 1 80 feet to the point of commencing, together with all buildings, fixtures, rights, easements, advantages and appurtenances whatsoever....)
Jesse ('Aunty Jess') never married. However around 1880, when she was twenty one, she gave birth to a girl named Ethel who was raised as her sister. Her brother Henry acted as the child’s guardian. From reference to her domestic skills we know that she remained at home until at least 1903.

Mrs Kentwell scored for best milk bread with Miss Jessie Black second. Sample shown by Miss Jessie Black for damper baked in ashes being very even in regard to merit of the winners.
The winner's cakes were light and airy, and so were those tabled by Miss Jessie Black.
Plain needlework, made by children 15 years of age and under.
1st 5/- 2nd 2/6
1st prize Ethel Black
2nd prize Olive Johnston


Section 8. Household. Best milk bread, not less than 3lbs. Jessie Black 2nd.

Best plate of six scones- Jessie Black's did not pass unnoticed though not in placings.

SECTION 9 Collection of fancy needlework.
Miss Ethel M.Black showed some good work.
Child's smocked frock Miss BIack 2nd prize


The first sale of work held in Glenorie in aid of the parsonage fund, Dural was opened by Mr.B.B.O'Conor in the presence of a good many residents and visitors. The stall-holders were:- Plain and fancy stall, Mrs W.Black and Miss J.Black; sweet stall, Miss E.Black and Misses Grace and Linda Roberts;
Later in life Jesse moved to Sydney and became a matron of children’s homes and died in 1934. Her daughter Ethel married Donald Caldwell in 1911 and had two children. Jesse’s sister Charlotte married a neighbour, Bill Best, in August 1882. She was twenty two and he thirteen years older and the marriage linked two of the prominent local families. Bill was another orchardist and he and Charlotte had three sons and two daughters. Bill Best died of lung disease in 1895 and Charlotte also died in middle age in 1907.

Henry II was active in the local community and in 1888 became engaged to Miss Dietz the young school teacher at Glenorie. At that time only seven families lived within three miles of the school and she was the first teacher at the new school. The fifteen children attending were all from either the Black or Stubbs families. Tragically less than a year later, when he was only twenty-nine, he was tragically killed when a tree on which he was working fell on him.
Cumberland Argus & Fruitgrowers' Advocate. 6 Nov. 1889

The district was shocked on Monday morning last by a report to the effect that a well known and highly respected young man, Mr Henry George Black, of Dural, had accidentally met his death by a tree falling upon him while he was felling timber on his selection. The sad news soon received confirmation, and a gloom fell upon those who had known the young man, a sturdy son of the soil and native of the district, to think that in his very prime he should be thus called before his Maker.
At nine o'clock that morning his mother and two sisters left him in his usual robust state of health, while they came in to Parramatta, and a few hours later the sad news was brought to them that he had been cut down while working on his selection. An inquest was held the next day, and on Wednesday his remains were followed to their last resting place by a large number of friends and relatives.
An inquest was held at the residence of deceased's mother (Mrs Mary Black) on Tuesday before the Coroner (Mr J.E.Bowden) and a jury of twelve.
Archibald Black deposed that he was brother of the deceased H.G.Black, and resided at Dural; the deceased was about 29 years of age, was born at Dural and was a fruit-grower by occupation; saw him (deceased) about 8.30 a.m. on Monday at Mrs Mary Black's; he was then in good health; he had left to go to his selection (about half-a-mile distant) to fell timber; rather more than an hour afterwards Walter Black (another brother) came to witness and reported that deceased had been killed, shortly afterwards the body was brought to the house it was quite dead.
Arthur Thomas Bayfield, farmer and splitter, deposed that he resided at Dural and was in the employ of deceased; about 9 a.m. on Monday he and the deceased were felling a white mahogany tree about two feet thick, by means of a cross-cut saw; the tree commenced to fall (and) an iron-bark sapling, burnt off at the stump was entangled in its upper part with the tree they were felling; as the mahogany tree descended, it started the sapling which fell, striking deceased on the head he fell backwards and a bough of the sapling fell across his chest; he never moved or spoke after; witness, by means of a stick used as a lever, lifted the sapling off deceased, but found he was dead; then went for assistance; the nearest person was James Allen, who was working about half a mile away; deceased's brother Walter hearing witness calling Allen came up, saw the body, and then proceeded to Parramatta; the sapling that struck deceased was about 30 feet long and ten inches through; the part that struck him fell about 15 feet.
Dr Johnson deposed that he had examined the body of deceased; there was a deep wound on the back of the head, and a scar on the face; the body was crushed and bruised in the region of the heart and stomach; the injuries were such as would cause instantaneous death, and in probability were such as would result from the accident deposed by the previous witness.
James Allen, timber-squarer, residing at Galston, gave evidence to the effect that his attention, was called to the occurrence by Bayfield; witness, Bayfield and Walter Black, then proceeded to the place where deceased had been at work. and found him lying on his back quite dead within two feet of where he had been using the saw.
The jury found that the deceased Henry George Black died from injuries accidentally received through a tree falling upon him.
When Henry II died his brothers Archibald and Walter had already acquired land by selection and later as part of their father’s estate. Both were married in the year following Henry’s death. Walter married his cousin May Jane Williams, Archibald’s marriage to Clara Breakwell is discussed later. May was a daughter of William Williams, Walter’s mother’s youngest brother.
Walter began as a farmer and orchardist at Castle Hill with a grant from his father’s estate.
Reconveyance 703/640 and Mortgage 703/641:
(Reconveyance 703/640 - This indenture made 6/1/1902 between Ethel Cowlishaw of Sydney, Spinster, Mary Black of Dural, Widow, and Walter James Black of Dural, Orchardist...

WHEREAS by indenture bearing date 26/4/1899 (641/94) were rnortgaged for £1500.
AND WHEREAS by indenture bearing date 2/4/190? The said lands were further charged with the payment of the sum of £300 AND WHEREAS the said principal sum of £1500 and £300 are still due and owing and all the interest thereon has been duly paid
AND WHEREAS the said Walter James Black has applied to the said Ethel Cowlishaw to reconvey the said lands which she has agreed to do and
IN CONSIDERATION of the sum of £300 paid by the said Walter James Black to the said Ethel Cowlishaw...ALL THAT piece of land being the remaining portion of the late Henry George Black's farm at Dural as shown on plan on the will of the said Henry George Black, being 10 acres of the orchard planted on the land adjoining the Dural road and lying south from the dwelling house of the said Henry George Black together with all the land lying on the north side of the south side of the lane fence and of that line continued to the east or back line, which land was devised to the said Walter James Black and consists of all the land belonging to the said Henry George Black deceased lying to the north of his dwelling house and as shown on the plan annexed to the will of the said Henry George Black comprising an area of 71 acres which with the said 10 acres makes a total area of 81 acres...)

The couple had four children before 1898 who all died in infancy; but in July 1900 a healthy fifth child, William Ephraim was born. (In 1921 William married Elsie Rachel Harris.)

In the 1890s Walter exhibited his produce at the Castle Hill Show. In this decade the prosperity of the area contributed to a land boom around Glenorie with many city people moving into the area. However things did not go well for Walter and Mary. The intensive orcharding had now exhausted the land and he was now virtually bankrupt and to add tragedy upon misfortune their four children had all died as infants. So in 1900 Walter and Mary, with a number of their relatives, moved north to open up the new area of Mangrove Mountain, inland from Gosford. Mary was again pregnant and stayed in Dural where she gave birth to a healthy boy in July of that year. The family was re-united at Mangrove Mountain in 1904.

His injuries from a riding accident were reported in the Argus. The group of pioneers included his cousins William and Ambrose Best. Walter had 80 acres of full bearing orchard at Waratah, on Mangrove Creek, which flowed into the Hawkesbury River. This Mary Black died in 1941 and her husband four years later. Their son died in Kulnara in July 1971.

Charlotte Christina Black was twenty two when she married William Alfred Best in July 1847. He was a member of another of district’s pioneers. They lived in Baulkham Hills until 1892 then they built a new house called St. Elmo at a cost of £1500. Two of their sons went to Mangrove Moutain. He died in September 1895 and she in November 1909 aged 48. They were both buried in Dural Cemetery.

Harriett Black married the school-teacher at Glenorie Charles Barrett at Rose Hill on Christmas Eve 1895. The family continued to involve themselves in community development.

In December 1900 Mary Ann(Connie) Black, then 36, married a widower, John Thomas Bryant who was 25 years her senior. Connie was just three years older than John’s eldest child from his first marriage. They were married in the Congregational Church in Burwood and the witnesses were Getrude and Clara Ruth Deitz. Perhaps one was the school-teacher and former fiancée of Connies dead brother Henry.

Edith Emmaline, the youngest of the family married James Wood in November 1901.

Bushfires were a regular event but particularly on New Year’s Day 1902.
What Parramatta people are disposed to regard as "the ultimate dim Thule" of remotest Glenorie had experienced a terrible visitation on Sunday week. Sheds, haystack, harness. Implements etc, at Mr Stubbs' were destroyed, and all round "The Ridge", in Mr Turner's bush, Mr Fitzroy's bush, at Mr F Black's, Mrs M.Black's. Mr Wigginton's, and in many other places the fire had been dreadfully destructive. But it was impossible in the compass of one day's drive, and that day so hot and oppressive as was Saturday, to obtain any adequate idea of the whole damage done. One might occupy a week or more in journeying from one mass of charred debris to another."
Mary was not immune from the accidents which continued to befall the family and she was lucky not befall the same fate as her father-in-law when her buggy came to grief on William’s Hill in 1893.
11/3/1893 Cumberland Argus & Fruit-growers' Journal

While Mrs H.Black, of "Rose-hill" Dural, was driving towards Parramatta on Saturday last, the breeching strap broke coming down William' Hill, causing the horse to become frightened and try to run away. He was however pulled up by a sister of Mrs Black, who was in the vehicle at the time, but as the horse turned rather short it caused Mrs Black to be thrown out the wheel passing over her head, which necessitated the attendance of Dr Brown, who was immediately sent for, and under whose treatment I am glad to say Mrs Black is progressing favourably. The shafts of the buggy were snapped off, and the wheels were also considerable damaged.
Connie and John had three children John, born in 1902, Mary the next year and Frank in 1905. All were born at John Bryant’s home “Rockleigh’ in Livingstone Rd Marrickville. Connie’s mother Mary Black died there on 3 Sep. 1907 aged seventy. She was buried with her husband, and their son Thomas. Another son Henry George II, is buried in the same plot but with a separate headstone. The grave is at the opposite end the Church of England Cemetery Castle Hill from Mary’s father-in-law John Black.

On Mary’s death her daughters Jesse and Charlotte inherited the house and land in Church St. Parramatta. As Charlotte died two months after her mother the inheritance was not finalised until 1910. Jesse and Charlotte’s sons sold the property and this may have been the impetus for Jesse, then fifty-three, to leave the area.

Some time after Mary’s death in 1907 some of the Bryant family also moved to Mangrove Mountain. John died there at his property “Chetwyn’ in November 1924 aged 85. Connie inherited that property and “Rockleigh” in Marrickville.