North Melbourne Football Club

VFA premiership.
VFA premiership.
VFA premiership.
VFA premiership.
VFA premiership.
VFA premiership.

Joined the VFL. In their first game the Shinboners (as they were known then) defeated Geelong by 8 points.
First Final!
North reached the finals for the first time, after finishing third at the end of the home-and-away season.
Wally Carter appointed coach. (After a short stint as caretaker coach in 1940, he would go on and coach North for more than 200 games in two further stints. Including the 1950 Grand Final.)
For the first time ever, North finished top of the ladder at the end of the home-and-away season. But the Northerners failed to reach the grand final after losing to Essendon in the preliminary final.
First Grand Final!
North reached the grand final for the first time. Unfortunately, North lost to Essendon by 38 points.
The club adopted the Kangaroos emblem.
North won the Night Series, defeating Carlton by 40 points. Noel Teasdale was a joint winner of the Brownlow Medal.
Won the Night Series again defeating Hawthorn by 53 points.
After winning only one game in 1972, Ron Barassi took over as coach and North Melbourne just failed to reach the finals, winning 11 games and drawing one, including wins against four of the five finalists. Keith Greig won the Brownlow Medal.
After a break of twenty-four years, the Roos reached the grand final for the second time, but as in 1950, they lost the big game, this time to Richmond by 41 points. Doug Wade kicked 103 goals for the season, a club record. Keith Greig won the Brownlow again!
North's First Premiership!!!
The Roos finally won their first flag after defeating Hawthorn by 55 points.The final score in this historic grand final, played at the MCG in front of a crowd of 110,551 was:
North Melbourne 19.8 (122) d Hawthorn 9.13 (67).
The Roos reached the grand final again, but this time they lost to Hawthorn by 30 points.
North's Second Flag!!!
In a dramatic end to the season the Roos won their second premiership in a grand final replay, defeating Collingwood by 27 points, after the first grand final finished in a draw. The final score in the drawn grand final was:
North Melbourne 9.22 (76) drew Collingwood 10.16 (76).
And in the grand final replay:
North Melbourne 21.25 (151) d Collingwood 19.10 (124).
Fifth consecutive grand final, this time North went down to Hawthorn by 18 points. Malcolm Blight won the Brownlow Medal.
The Roos won the Night Series, defeating Collingwood by 3 points.
After Ron Barassi departed the club, Malcolm Blight was appointed as a playing coach. (One of the last playing coaches in the VFL.) But from round 17 a new coach was appointed: Barry Cable.
North finished top of the ladder at the end of the home-and-away season, but lost the preliminary final to Essendon. Ross Glendinning won the Brownlow Medal.
John Kennedy Sr took over as coach.
The VFL became the AFL.
Wayne Schimmelbusch appointed as coach. John Longmire won the Coleman Medal, kicking 98 goals for the season.
The North Melbourne Under 19s under Denis Pagan, won the flag for the final time (the U/19 competition was disbanded at the end of 1991). It was their ninth consecutive grand final appearance, winning five of them.
Just before the home-and-away season began, Denis Pagan took over as coach, replacing Wayne Schimmelbusch. At the end of the home-and-away season North was third on the ladder, but the Kangas, playing in their first final in six years, lost to West Coast in an elimination final. In Round six the Roos scored 35.19 (229) against Sydney, North's highest ever score.
North was again a premiership contender, going as far as the preliminary final for the first time in 11 years. Wayne Carey dominated the final series. Unfortunately the Roos lost to Geelong by 6 points, when Ablett kicked the winning goal for Geelong after the siren.
North won the pre-season cup, and Mick Martyn won the Michael Tuck Medal. In the AFL premiership season, North reached the preliminary final for the second year in a row, but again the Roos could not reach the grand final, this time losing to Carlton.
North wins its third premiership!!!
North Melbourne won the premiership for the third time. At the end of one of the best seasons in the club's history, North was presented with the Centenary Premiership Gold Cup, Archer won the Norm Smith Medal and for the first time ever the Roos won a flag without losing a single final. The final score in the 100th Grand Final:
North Melbourne 19.17 (131) d Sydney 13.10 (88)
North reached the preliminary final for the 4th consecutive time, but lost to St Kilda to finish 4th.
The Roos won the pre-season cup and Wayne Carey won the Michael Tuck Medal. North finished top of the ladder at the end of the home-and-away season, reached the Grand Final, but lost to Adelaide by 35 points: 8.22 (70) to 15.15 (105)
4th flag!!!
The Roos won the premiership by beating Carlton by 35 points in the 1999 Grand Final. Thus, the Kangaroos could now claim the title "Team of the Nineties". Shannon Grant won the Norm Smith Medal. The final score in the grand final was:
Kangaroos 19.10 (124) d Carlton 12.17 (89)
From this year (until 2007) the North Melbourne Football Club would trade as 'The Kangaroos'.
North reached a record 7th consecutive preliminary final, but lost to Melbourne. Pagan's record now reads: 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 4th, 2nd, 1st and 4th.
Wayne Carey quit the club just before round one. Anthony Stevens replaced him as captain. The Roos played in yet another final series under Denis Pagan and finished 7th. However, Pagan left the club to join Carlton. He was replaced by Dean Laidley.
North made the finals for the first time in 3 years. However the Roos lost the elimination final to Port and thus finished 7th.
The Kangaroos surprised most pundits by making the top 4 for the first time in 7 years. However they lost the prelim final to Port. It was the Kangas' 8th prelim in 14 seasons.
At the end of the year the club rejected a relocation plan and reverted to its original name North Melbourne.
Dean Laidley quit North in the middle of the season. Assistant coach Darren Crocker took the interim head coach position. In August Brad Scott was appointed new head coach to take over in 2010.
North reached another preliminary final, the first since 2007. In a roller-coaster year, North managed to beat all other 7 finalists.
North reached yet another preliminary final.
Brent Harvey broke the all-time games record in round 19 and played his last game for North in the finals.
After a 3-7 start to the season the club and Brad Scott decided to part ways. Rhyce Shaw took over as an interim coach at first, and then was appointed as senior coach after round 19.
After a disappointing 3-14 season Rhyce Shaw quit the club for personal reasons. The club decided to go for a full list rebuild. David Noble was appointed senior coach at the end of the year.