My ex 1600 kalahari tan kombi
(bought new 10-Mar-1975, and sold old 1-Aug-1997)
with graffiti "HITLOR WAGON"
in Lipstick "Windsor Rose" possibly by Max Factor
Why is my kombi here?
It is here in cyberspace to have a parallel existance where it will never run out of petrol, break down or ever have a flat tyre,
immortal, and rust free. Some of this cyber-carma does transfer to normal space, where it somehow feels safer driving a car aware
of it's dual existance, up here and over there.
It will go forever, into the sunset, towards kombi heaven, and stay in top
gear all the way......
Why is my kombi over there?
After 22 years, on the first of August,
1997 the Kombi was sold, well, traded in, on a family friendly Honda civic. It was either the new Tarago or the old Kombi
or the very old 1954 (single tailpipe, heart shaped lenses, roller accelerator pedal) beetle that had
to go, and the old bus pulled the short straw. So the VW connection is still there and I will add information about the beetle
real soon, promise. The Kombi is alive and well and has been spotted driving around Adelaide!!!
She's had a severe polishing though and looks very shiny, except for the GREY corner, but that's another story.
- 11:00 Sunday
12th October 1997, top of the Parade Norwood.
- 15:00 Friday 7th November 1997, corner Fullarton and Glen Osmond Roads.
- 12:07 Thursday 11th December 1997, corner Frome Road and North Terrace.
- 14:10 Wednesday 24th December 1997, corner Port Road and North & West Terrace.
- 14:00 Wednesday 7th January 1998, Waymouth Street (spotted by Mark).
- 16:10 Tuesday 31st March 1998, West Lakes Boulevarde (spotted by Amy).
- 13:40 Wednesday 6th May 1998, Vaughan St carpark, (coming back from lunch at the Exeter)
- 12:10 Wednesday 23rd September 1998, Vaughan St carpark, (going to lunch at the Exeter)
- 15:30 Monday 31st May 1999, Vaughan St carpark, (spotted by Andrew)
- 14:30 Wednesday 31st August 1999, Memorial Drive, parked under the trees, (spotted by Yasi)
- 18:00 Tuesday 14th March 2000, in Elder Park, by the Torrens, rowing in the "Merylin Franks"
- 18:00 Wednesday 15th March 2000, in Elder Park, by the Torrens again, rowing in the quad
- 17:05 Tuesday 25th April 2000, at Mascot airport Sydney, spoke to ZZ Top, well we actually just said Hi. Not actually a Kombi sighting, but it's not often I see beards longer than mine.
- 21:58 Saturday 22nd July 2000, outside Adelaide Playhouse after seeing "How I learnt to drive".
- 11:00 Sunday 13th August 2000, on the Esplanade near the Kiosk at Henley Beach, (spotted by Claire)
- 14:00 Tuesday 22nd August 2000, corner North Terrace and King William Street, (again by Claire)
- 18:00 Wednesday 8th November 2000, by the kiosk under the Festival Centre, spotted while rowing on the Torrens
- 11:20 Wednesday 7th February 2001, driving along Memorial drive by the weir, while Yasi & Claire were playing golf.
- 18:05 Wednesday 4th April 2001, while rowing with the Scotch VIII on the Torrens, driving along Memorial Drive by the
- 11:15 Friday 13th April 2001, spotted by David on Seaview Road.
- 14:19 Tuesday 3rd September 2002, on the corner of King William & Currie, grenfell streets (by Amy)
- 18:30 Tuesday 8th October 2002, while rowing in the "Franks" on the Torrens, driving along Memorial Drive by the Weir.
If you happen to see the old Kombi, email me with details, and I will add them to this list.
Why is Jerome's kombi here?
Some other cyber enabled kombies & stuff....
From Wolfsburg With Love
Thom's VW Page
Pictures of 1956 Kombi Resto Project
LOAF- '66 Kombi
Air-cooled Volkswagen FAQ
Volkswagen Bus Information
VW Type III: VW Links
VW Type III: What is it?
Model Year Differens and VIN Information (1949-1967)
VW Bus Trivia
Volkswagen, VW, NICE BUS
Thom's Barndoor Bus Page
Ministry of Volkswagen
Drawn by Josh ©1998
||Copyright © 2004 Kustas TIIVAS