In and Out - Rated - Tepid
There's a lot to like about this film. But there's also a lot not to
* Kevin Kline's performance - particularly his
* Joan Cusak's performance, and her character
* Debbie Reynolds as an older mum (but she still
gets to show off her legs).
* A lot of the jokes.
* The tone of the film - it seems to walk a fine
line on a tricky subject, and mostly it doesn't misstep.
I don't like:
* The unexpected twist.
* The way an interesting issue about the grey areas
of sexuality is suddenly transformed into a black- or-white issue.
* The way the ending cops out.
I'm disappointed, because I thought the film really was going to cover
some new ground. It didn't really. In fact, all it did was remind me of
what a good film The Sum of Us was.