Peter Carter’s home page
I live in Adelaide, South Australia, and worked for too long as a teacher and lecturer at primary, tertiary and secondary level (in that order). I’m now a freelance technical writer, editor (former member of the Society of Editors (SA), occasional HTML hacker (nothing fancy here — I’m more interested in content than eye candy, and this site is edited with BBEdit, not a WYSIWYG editor), and canoeing instructor.
Why do I wear a spanner hung around my neck? Here’s an explanation.
Current editing work
Searchlight, the magazine of the SA Sea Rescue Squadron. (I’m a Radio Operator)
Outdoor News, the publication of the Outdoor Educators’ Association of SA.
Paddling: canoe and kayak
- Australian Canoeing Sea Kayak Instructor (formerly Advanced), former member of Education and Safety Technical Committee, Life Member (2017)
- Formerly Secretary, Investigator Canoe Club
- Secretary, Adelaide Canoe Club
- Member , Paddle South Australia: Education and Safety Technical Committee
- Developer and sometime builder, Voyager sea kayak and the Platypus BAT
For some information on sea kayaking, I have brief historical details on the Australian scene with links to Australian and overseas sites, and a number of papers, listed at left
Cycling and HPVs
- Editor, Cycle!, the magazine of Bicycle South Australia, the largest recreational cycling group in South Australia, 1992–2017.
- Member, Moulton Bicycle Club
- Editor, S Aus Apple Users Club AppleSauce 1993–2012
- Member (retd), Australian Computer Society
This site was rebuilt in 2011 to use CSS layout in place of tables, and validated to at least HTML 4.01 Transitional standard. Validated pages should render correcly in any standards-compliant browser. (That excludes Internet Explorer: I have better things to do with my time than mess with workarounds for Microsoft software.)