Meccano Gear Ratio Finder
Here are some programs to locate specific gear ratios.
If you know how to use a compiler, download the original source code, compile it up and run it
from the command line. There are a number of options to allow/disallow
ratios and tooth counts. It is designed to be fairly flexible and very fast.
Still finding gear ratios requires an exponential search so there are limits.
A pre-compiled DOS/Windows executable is
also available. The program opens a blank command window and waits
for the user to enter a gear rate, as soon you hit enter it calculates
the best fit with 1,2,3 and 4 pairs. It presents the results and
waits for another rate. To end the program, simply close the window.
This version of the program is limit to Meccano gear tooth counts.
A second executable executes in the same manner but
allows the more recent reproduction tooth counts as well. There programs
were modified and compiled by Antoni Gual Via.
The program accepts some other commands instead of ratios:
- contrate adds in or removes contrate based gear ratios.
By default they are not included.
- depth n sets the search depth to n pair of gears.
Be careful making this value too large.
- gear adds in or removes gear and pinion gear ratios. By
default these are included.
- help or ? prints brief help about these commands.
- quit exits the program.
- ratios prints the list of currently legal search ratios.
- spacing toggles between standard gear spacings and any gear
spacings for gear to gear ratios only (i.e. not worm to gear).
- tol x sets the search tolerance to x. This represents
a stopping criteria: if a ratio is found that is within this tolerance
of the desired ratio, the search stops. By default it is set to
- worm adds in or removes gear/pinion and worm ratios. By
default these are not included.
- + n allows the use of gears with n teeth. If n is *, then all
of the restricted tooth counts are allowed.
- - n disallows the use of gears with n teeth.
The initial banned tooth count list is:
Other files available are:
- gr1.c which contains the source code for
the DOS/Windows executable.
- gr.c which contains the source code for a
Meccano official tooth count only program for DOS/Windows.
- COPYING the GNU GPL version 3 license under whose
terms this program is distributed.
I hope you find my program useful.